Saturday, July 24, 2004

Garden Update

Today after church I decided it was about time to check on the peas and carrots in our garden.  Each week I've been picking just a few here and there,  but I didn't want anything to go bad from neglect so I went to check.  I decided while down there to go ahead and pull all the carrots.  Last year we had only about 8 carrots, and 2 of them split and rotted in the ground because we left them in too long.  I didn't want that to happen again, and besides, the watermelons were taking over the top half of the row, and the pumpkin was taking over the bottom half, so I thought it would be best just to get them out of there!  lol
 
 
I think I pulled about 50 carrots!  Some of them are really big and beautiful, some of them are very distorted, and some I probably could have left go another week.  But all in all,  I am happy with what we have.  I wanted to show you two carrots that I pulled up together;  I call them the Love Carrots, lol.
 
I also picked some peas,  and here is a picture of ALL the peas I have picked and shelled so far this season - we haven't eaten any of them!
Well, at least it is more than we got last year;  last year we only had one plant grow, and got maybe 12 pea pods for the whole summer.
 
Here is a picture of Caleb, who thought it would cheer the carrots up if he blew them some bubbles  LOL
 
 
 
 

No comments: