Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Success! and Thanks

To those of you who suggested Sweet William for the white flower, thank you! It is indeed a dianthus barbatus. I found a picture online that is identical to my plant. I also was able to identify my pink flower. It is a dianthus armeria, called Deptford Pink. Woohoo, I love solving a mystery!

Ok, now that that felt so good, let's do it again ;-)

Here is a bush that flowered behind my north-facing chimney, it is mostly shade there. It bloomed at the end of May. I'm thinking it might be a kind of honeysuckle?

Photobucket

Photobucket

And this is a plant that spread like crazy once it came up, so very weedy. I guess it is a kind of ground cover since it spread so easily, but it is tall, over a foot high. The white flowers have fused petals, and grow beneath the leaves. It grew in a very shady corner, it gets almost no direct sun. It started flowering in early June, and it is still getting new flowers even while the seeds on the older plants are ripening.

Photobucket

Photobucket



After about a month, they developed these pods, which are turning a cool orange color:

Photobucket

When you pull open a pod, there is one seed inside:

Photobucket

So, flower detectives, what do you think?

3 comments:

Kim said...

The 2nd plant looks like a ground cherry or husk tomato. If it is, you can eat the berries once they are red (they're toxic when they're green).

jen said...

The bottom one looks like it is from the Physalis family. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physalis
It is part of the Nightshade family (potatoes, tomatoes) and some fruits are edible, but many are poisonous so no munching til you find out for certain!

The top pic I am pretty sure isn't a honeysuckle. It could be a jasmine or a chilean potato plant. Will have a think (and forward to my mum - she's good at plants!)

jen said...

I passed the first plant pic on to my mum, she agreed it might well be a Jasmine (try Trachelospermum jasminoides http://www.floridata.com/ref/T/trac_jas.cfm)
Does this look like a close enough match?