Monday, December 20, 2004

Friends and Parties

Last Friday Chris and I went to his company's holiday dinner party. His boss has it at his house. Brave man, I would never invited 22 adults here! Well, when we got there I could see why he was willing to do it. His wife has the house decorated so beautifully it was incredible. Every single room was packed with Christmas decorations, plus the outside was done up too. And it was all tasteful and done very well. Chris got a little nervous after we were there a while, thinking this was raising the bar for our own house shopping, LOL. The party was fun, his coworkers and boss are very nice. It was casual, so I didn't have to worry about not having anything fancy enough to wear, and I made an apple crisp, since everyone was asked to bring a dessert. We had our friend from church come over and watch the boys for us, and while Chris was going to try to take Levi with us, I just didn't think his coworkers were really in the mood to have a baby there, so I asked if it would be ok to leave him at home too. Our friend is very good with babies, and it was only going to be a few hours, so I was pretty sure it would be ok. She is magic with getting them to sleep so I figured if I fed him right before I left and was gone only 3 hours, he wouldn't starve and if he got grumpy she could just get him to sleep. As it turned out I was right. We were gone from 5:30 to 9:30, and he was just starting to get grumpy when we got back. He had slept a while and just woken up. So our timing was perfect.

On Sunday we had friends come over to visit that we haven't seen in almost 2 years. They used to live here, but moved out of state a few years ago. Their family lives up here, so when they come home on holidays they try to get out our way to say hi. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. It is always so good to see them. When they were here, and before any of us had kids, we did so much together, we were always doing something. Kids and lives have gotten in the way, and it is sad now that we don't see each other more. But getting together is always a lot of fun.

I made pizza and we watched Spiderman 2, which Chris had just gotten as a Christmas gift from his Sabbath School class at church. After we got the kids to bed, they put on Return of the King, which they had brought with them. We only watched selected scenes, because we didn't want to be up very late. They left this morning before 9 because they wanted to try to see some other friends up here before heading home. Chris waited until they left before going in to work, so he'll be working late tonight to make up for lost time. He also has to make up for the 2 hours he missed on Friday. Oh, did I not tell you about what happened on Friday? Well.....

Friday morning I woke up (still on the couch as Chris had just put the last coat of paint up in our room) and nursed Levi, then fell back asleep with him tucked in next to me. The boys trickled downstairs to watch morning cartoons, and about 8:30 I figured it was time to get up. I felt cold, so I asked Noah to check the temperature on the thermostat; he read 55. Yikes! Oh man, I thought, Chris let the oil run out again. Ugh! So I went downstairs to check the oil level. Nope, we weren't out yet. Hmmm. I flipped the switch on the furnace, nothing. I checked the fuse. I checked the breaker. Nothing. I called Chris and told him to come home and fix it. He had me check a few more times and gave up and came home. He ended up getting all the way inside the furnace, checking all the connections, making sure there was power through it. He couldn't find the problem either. He gave up and told me I'd have to call a guy to come and look at it. I had the phone in my hand ready to dial when he called out to me "don't call!" I heard the heat come on and went to find out what he did. It turns out the 2 year old had climbed up and opened the door on the thermostat, flipped the switch from heat to cool, closed the door again, and pushed away the exersaucer he had used to climb up. He had done all this and left no trace of his presence, so it never occurred to me that someone had messed with it. If you ask me, I am going to be in trouble with this kid, LOL. So phew, no money spent to fix the furnace, but bummer, Chris wasted 2 hours of work to come home and turn it back on.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

We must never let your 2yo and my 3yo meet. I wondered why it was so warm, "somone" had set not just one but three (electric heat) thermostats up to 80. Yipes, that won't help the bill.